|Council on Aging offers our senior clients legal services and advice to contribute to their sense of well being and support their independence and security. Those in social or financial need receive priority.
To be eligible for our legal services you must be a Sonoma County resident 60 years of age or older. Our Senior Legal Services staff includes a part-time attorney and a paralegal.
CLICK HERE to take our Legal Services Survey and tell us of what services would best help you.
We offer legal advice, counseling, negotiation, preparation of documents, and limited representation at hearings. Some of the specific areas of service offered are:
• Social Security and SSI: eligibility, overpayment, and other issues
• Medicare and Medi-Cal
• Consumer Problems: contracts, debt collection, consumer fraud issues
• Elder Abuse: identify and assist seniors who are subject to abuse, neglect, and exploitation
• Estate Planning: wills, termination of joint tenancy, removal of deceased spouse from deeds
• Housing: Landlord tenants rights, evictions, mobile home and HUD housing issues
• Planning for Long Term Care: Durable power of attorney for asset management and health care, Medi-Cal planning
• Real Estate: Matters related to purchase/sale/lease
• Small Claims Advice: Evaluation of case, procedural advice
Legal services are at no charge, however we gratefully accept donations to supplement the grant funding that covers these costs. Contributions are strictly voluntary, however; legal services are provided whether or not you are able to make a donation. For more information, contact the Legal Services office at 525-0143 ext. 140.
The Council on Aging offers a fixed-fee program for those interested in avoiding probate. This program provides planning for the simplest of estates through the use of a revocable trust and related documents. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Legal Services office at 525-0143 ext. 140.
The staff also participates in an outreach program to the community and is happy to address your group or organization on a variety of elder law issues. Please contact the Legal Service office at 525-0143 ext. 140, if you are interested.